College of Humanities
The program is aiming at cultivating comprehensive and senior specialists in Chinese language and literature to meet the needs of the times and social construction. Through systematic major learning, students can not only solidly grasp the professional knowledge but also acquire very strong abilities in terms of reading and expression, literary aesthetics, theoretical practice and innovation-driven development, at last to develop into talented person with integrated humanistic quality and higher ideological quality.
After graduation, students can continue their studies in related discipline, or engage in teaching and research work at universities or language and literature research departments, or work as editors, journalists and secretaries in fields of cultural promotion, journalism, publishing, radio, television, or at the Party and government organs and industrial and mining enterprises, etc.
II Training Requirements
The major focuses on: ancient Chinese, modern Chinese, the basic principle of linguistics, applied linguistics, ancient Chinese literature, modern Chinese literature, contemporary Chinese literature, European and American literature, oriental literature, theory of literature and art, aesthetics and Western literary theory, etc.
Graduates should gain knowledge and abilities in following aspects:
(1) Mastering systematic knowledge of ancient Chinese language and modern Chinese language in terms of characters, vocabularies, grammar, phonology and rhetoric and other aspects as well as the basic theory of linguistics;
(2) Understanding the historic context and basic process of the development of Chinese literature and world literature, as well as the main situation and literary history evaluation of the representative trend of literary thoughts and writers and their works;
(3) Mastering knowledge related to the theory in literature and art and aesthetics;
(4) Be competent in the teaching and research work of Chinese language and literature, and be qualified for the work at news media and publishing units as journalists or editors and at government departments, enterprises and public institutions as administrators or secretaries.
III Main Discipline and Core Courses
Main discipline: Chinese Language and Literature
Core courses: ancient Chinese, modern Chinese, linguistics, ancient Chinese literature, modern and contemporary Chinese literature, theory of literary and art, aesthetics, world literature and comparative literature, etc.
Practical teaching plans: practice teaching (six weeks); academic year thesis (four weeks); graduation internship (six weeks);graduation thesis (ten weeks).
Main experiments: news collecting and editing, newspaper editing, computer and internet data, etc.
IV Features and Orientation of the Major
Features: the major has been unswervingly carrying out the education concept of cultivating both knowledge and personality, both professional ability and thinking ability and both research-oriented talents and application-oriented talents. Under the principle of imparting solid basic knowledge, respecting individualities, pursuing high quality of education and treasuring practical experiences, students can not only gain solid foundation of knowledge as well as humanistic quality, but also fit in with the needs for Chinese language and literature talents from related industries under new historical conditions.
V Length of Schooling
Generally four years.
Bachelor of Arts
VII Qualified Standards for Graduation
(1) Having both good thinking quality and physical quality, which conform to standard of moral education and physical education stipulated by school.
(2) Through all teaching plans required in the training program, students should gain accumulated 150 credits, including 132 credits from course-teaching and 18 credits from practical teaching.
(3) Completing extra-curricular training plan to acquire another eight credits.